The laminated core steel was changed to SG2 stainless PM steel for its superior edge holding and keenness. The fit of the traditional wooden sheath (saya) was drastically improved by including a magnet to securely hold the knife in place for storage. The English Blazen text was replaced by artistically marking the knife and saya with the Bu-Rei-Zen logo in Kanji.
RyuSen starts with ultra-modern, limited production, SG2 PM stainless steel and forges this between two layers of SUS410L stainless steel. The resulting edge is tempered to Rc 61 - 63 (very hard!) for exceptional edge holding, but is easy to sharpen.
Following in the best tradition of knife making, a steel ferrule is forge-welded to the tang to ensure that food particles cannot become lodged between the tang and the wooden handle. Both the blade and tang are distal tapered for the best possible balance and performance. The handle, made from multiple layers of wood impregnated with resin, is riveted to the full length tang and will last a lifetime. The blades are fully honed and some of the sharpest knives we have ever found. Accompanied by traditional lacquered wooden sheath (saya). Each knife is packed in a special gift box.
- SG2 stainless san mai blade - soft steels surrounding a ultra-hard PM steel core
- Full tang handle with durable hardwood impregnated with resin
- Three rivet construction for strength and durability
- Stainless bolster for optimal balance and hygene
- Distal tapered blade and tang for optimal balance
- Very hard center core (Rc 61 - 63) for long lasting razor sharp edge
- Traditional black lacquered wooden sheath (saya)